Men and boys experience rape and sexual assault too.
Male victims will experience the same range of emotions and have many of the same needs as female victims.
They may have other reactions and fears –
- that their ‘manliness’ has been challenged
- they will be thought weak
- they will be ridiculed
- they will be outed (if gay)
- or that people will think they are gay
- that they can’t have been raped because they had an erection – however, having an erection is a physical reaction that the victim cannot control; it does not mean they wanted or enjoyed the act
All the local services shown on the ‘Services that can help’ page offer services to male victims.